I started my doctoral research in 2009 on the topic "Occurrence, moult and reproduction of parasitic crustaceans infesting the fishes" under the guidance of Dr. K. Sudha in the Department of Zoology, Sree Naranaya College, Kannur and has been awarded his PhD degree in 2014 from Kannur University. Meantime I have learned the basics of taxonomy by reading taxonomic papers, books and also interact with several renowned taxonomist worlds over. Later I worked at Sree Narayana College, Kannur and Nehru Arts & Science College, Kanhangad, Kerala as a Guest Lecturer and ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture (CIBA), Chennai as Senior Research fellow on EHP, a microsporidian parasite infesting on shrimps and learned the techniques such as Histopathology, Microscopy, Microbiology, In-situ hybridization, Isolation of Nucleic acids (DNA & RNA), PCR, nested PCR, Real Time PCR etc. Recently at the Zoological Survey of India as a Post-Doctoral Fellow, I worked on the "Taxonomy of Cymothoids". Currently I am working in the Department of Aquatic Biology & Fisheries, the University of Kerala as UGC-DS Kothari post-doctoral fellow. The outcome of my research work was published in various reputed international peer-reviewed and impact factored journals. My research continues to focus on the Occurrence, taxonomy, phylogeny, Moult and reproduction of parasitic crustaceans infesting on marine invertebrate and vertebrate hosts of Indian waters. I have described/redescribed more than 25 species. My present research focuses on "Taxonomy, Diversity, Distribution, DNA Barcoding and Phylogeny of Isopods and copepods (Arthropoda: Crustacea) parasitizing marine invertebrate and vertebrates of Coastal waters of India". The major focus of work at present is the systematics of the parasitic crustaceans funded by University Grants Commission under Dr D. S. KOTHARI POST DOCTORAL fellowship scheme.
Ph. D. (Zoology), Kannur University 2014
B. Ed. (Natural Science), Kannur University 2008
M. Sc. (Zoology) Annamalai University 2007
Systematics, Taxonomy, phylogeny, Growth and Reproduction of Parasitic Crustaceans Infesting the marine invertebrates and vertebrates
Biodiversity, Systematics, Crustacean Biology.
Awards and Fellowships
UGC-DS Kothari-Post-Doctoral Fellowship (UGC DSK-PDF) offered by University Grants Commission, New Delhi; Post-Doctoral Fellowship (PDF), offered by Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), Ministry of Environment & Forests, Govt. of India, M Block, Kolkata; Senior Research Fellowship, Aquatic Animal Health and Environment Division, ICAR-Central Institute of Brackishwater Aquaculture (CIBA), Chennai; Junior Research Fellowship, RKVY Project - Coconut, Kerala Agricultural University, College of Agriculture, Padannekkadu (December 2015); Project fellow - UGC, Major Research Project entitled: "Studies on growth and reproduction of Pseudocycnus sp. a crustacean parasite infecting on fishes of Malabar"; Junior Research Fellowship, Kannur University (2009 November).
1. Aneesh PT, Bruce, N.L., M. Bineesh, Nashad, AA Mohamed Hatha. (2020). A new speciesof parasitic cymothoid of the genus Renocila Miers, 1880 (Crustacea: Isopoda) parasitizing the body surface of coral reef fish Acanthurus triostegus (Linnaeus) from Andaman Island, India. Marine Biology Research (IF: 1.29), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/17451000.2020.1761028
2. Aneesh PT, AK Helna, A Bijukumar (2020). New species of Acanthochondria Oakley, 1930 and Chondracanthus Delaroche, 1811 (Copepoda: Poecilostomatoida: Chondracanthidae) parasitizing marine fishes in Indian coast, with a review on the family Chondracanthidae Milne Edwards, 1840 from India. Nauplies (IF: 1.39), 28: 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1590/2358-2936e2020014
3. Aneesh PT, Helna AK, Kumar AB, Trilles J-P (2020) A taxonomic review of the branchial fish parasitic genus Elthusa Schioedte & Meinert, 1884 (Crustacea: Isopoda: Cymothoidae) from Indian waters with the description of three new species. Marine Biodiversity(in press). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12526-020-01084-6
4. Aneesh PT, S Kappalli (2020) Occurrence of Life Cycle Dependent Monophasic and Biphasic Molting in a Parasitic Isopod, Mothocya renardi. Thalassas: An International Journal of Marine Sciences, p 1-10. Published online 13th Jan 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41208-019-00188-6 (IF: 0.54). NAAS Score: 6. 54.
5. Aneesh PT, AK Helna, JP Trilles, K Chandra (2019) A taxonomic review of the genus Joryma Bowman and Tareen, 1983 (Crustacea: Isopoda: Cymothoidae) parasitizing the marine fishes from Indian waters, with a description of a new species. Marine Biodiversity, 49:1449–1478. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12526-018-0920-7
6. Aneesh PT, A K Helna, A Bijukumar (2019). Redescription and neotype designation for the poorly known fish parasitic cymothoid Joryma brachysoma (Pillai, 1964) (Crustacea: Isopoda) from India. Folia Parasitologica, 66(014), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.14411/fp.2019.014
7. Aneesh P.T., Valarmathi K., Santanu M. 2019: Redescription of Nerocila recurvispina Schiodte and Meinert 1881: (Crustacea: isopoda) from the Hooghly River, Kolkata, India. Marine Biodiversity. 49: 301-313. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12526-017-0799-8.
8. Aneesh P.T., Helna A.K., Trilles J.P., Chandra K. 2019. Occurrence and redescription of Anilocra leptosoma Bleeker, 1857 (Crustacea: isopoda: Cymothoidae) parasitizing the clupeid fish Tenualosa toli (Valenciennes) from the Arabian Sea, India. Marine Biodiversity. 49:443-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12526-017-0828-7.
(Full list in curriculum vitae)
Back to current researchers