My passion with the science and art of taxonomy started during my Master's in Aquatic Biology and Fisheries. I found batoids (Rays and Skates) as the most suitable one for my research as they are one of the most threatened groups of fishes in the Ocean. A study integrated with the molecular and morphometric methods would provide a detailed picture on their taxonomy and also help in revealing the correct identity of many cryptic species and species complexes along the south coast of India. On a strong background of taxonomy this can be a bench mark data for the conservation and management of these fishes.
M.Sc (Aquatic Biology & Fisheries), University of Kerala, 2014
B.Sc (Zoology), University of Kerala, 2012
Chondrichthyans, Taxonomy, Phylogeny, Conservation and Management
. Kerala University Junior Research Fellowship
Awarded with WWF small grant programme for the project entitled 'An Integrative taxonomic study of the Threatened Batoids along the South west and South east coast of India' during 2018-2019
1. Bhagyalekshmi, V. and Biju Kumar, A. 2020. Morphological Abnormalities of Indian Ring Skate, Orbiraja powelli (Alcock, 1898) (Rajiformes: Rajidae) Collected in the Southwest Coast of India. Thalassas, 36: 193-200.
2. Bhagyalekshmi, V. and Biju Kumar, A. 2017.Variable torpedo ray Torpedo sinuspersici Olfers, 1831 with fully developed foetus caught in shore seine operated from Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. Journal of Aquatic Biology & Fisheries, 5: 210-212.
3. Biju Kumar, A.,Bhagyalekshmi, V. and Riyas, A. 2017.Climate change, fisheries andcoastal ecosystems in India. Journal of Aquatic Biology & Fisheries, 5: 7-17.
1. Bhagyalekshmi, V.& A. Biju Kumar. 2018. Colour polymorphism of variable torpedo ray Torpedo sp.: An integrative taxonomic study. Poster presented at Kerala Science Congress on January 28-30, 2018 (Book of Abstracts Page No. 242)
2. Bhagyalekshmi, V. & A. Biju Kumar. 2018. Threatened Batoid fishes of India: Temporal variations in fisheries and conservation strategies. Poster presented at International Biodiversity Congress, 2018
(Full list in curriculum vitae)
Back to current researchers