Ocean blue always fascinated me right from my childhood visit to Varkala beach with my father. My interest to animal science was ignited during my higher secondary education and finally came to the enthusiastic aquatic world during my PG programme. Inspired by my veteran guide in the taxonomy and systematics domain of scientific research, I started my research career with 'Opisthobranchs or Sea slugs', the fascinating group of marine gastropods. I have tried to address the taxonomic ambiguities and depict the evolutionary history of this group by integrative taxonomic approaches. I love to talk more about taxonomy and systematics and possibilities of DNA Barcoding in revealing more about our fellow beings on earth with my students and inspire them to contribute more to this arena in this world of taxonomic impediment.
Ph D (Aquatic Biology & Fisheries), University of Kerala 2019
MSc (Aquatic Biology & Fisheries), University of Kerala 2011
Ecology, Biodiversity Conservation and Molecular Systematics
Animal Diversity and Physiology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Genetics, Developmental Biology and Evolution.
Awards and Fellowships
First rank in M.Sc. Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, University of Kerala. Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) fellowship by Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) of University Grants Commission. Best paper and poster presentation award in the National Seminar on Emerging Trends in Indian Aquaculture (ETIA 2013), organised by Department of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, University of Kerala and Department of Fisheries, Government of Kerala. Attended a training course on "Integrative Taxonomy and Taxonomic Expertise in the Framework of the DNA-Barcoding Initiative" Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris, France.
1. Ravinesh,R., Sneha Chandran, B.K. and Biju Kumar, A. (2013).First record of the Dendrodorid slug, Dendrodoriscoronata (Nudibranchia: Dendrodorididae) from Kadmat Island, Lakshadweep, India, Journal of Marine Biodiversity Records, Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. doi:10.1017/S1755267213000894; Vol. 6; e116; 2013
2. Carmona, L., Cervera, J.L., Biju Kumar, A. and Sneha Chandran, B.K. (2017).Firstrecord of the aeolid Anteaeolidiella Fijensis (Nudibranchia, Aeolidiidae) from India. Marine Biodiversity, 47: 823 - 830.
3. Sneha Chandran, B.K., Valdes, A., Ravinesh, R. and Biju Kumar, A. (2017). Confirmed report of Aplysia argus Ruppell & Leuckart, 1830 (Mollusca: Opisthobranchia: Aplysiidae) from Lakshadweep, with notes on its taxonomy in India. Journal of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, 4: 147-151.
4. Sneha Chandran, B.K.,Sreenivasu, S., Ravinesh, R., Panipilla, R., Benadict, A.A. and Biju Kumar, A (2017). New records of opisthobranchs (Mollusca: Gastropoda) from southern west coast of India: A citizen science initiative. Marine Biological Association of India, 59 (1): 49-58.
5. Sneha Chandran, B.K., Ravinesh, R. and Biju Kumar, A. (2017). Additions to the Opisthobranch fauna of Lakshadweep Islands, India. Journal of Threatened Taxa, 9 (12): 11045-11053.
6. Ravinesh,R., Jabir, T., Sneha Chandran, B.K., Biju Kumar, A. and Mohamed Hatha, A.A. (2017). First record of the alien sea slug Thecacerapennigera (Montagu, 1813) (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Nudibranchia: Polyceridae) from southwest coast of India. Journal of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, 5: 222-224.
7. Bazzicalupo, E,Crocetta, F, Estores-Pacheco1, K,Golestani, H, Bazairi, H, Giacobbe, S, Jaklin, A,Poursanidis, D, Sneha Chandran, B. K., Cervera, J.L. and Valdes, A. (2018). Population genetics of Bursatellaleachii(De Blainville, 1817) and implicationsfor the origin of the Mediterranean population. Helgoland Marine Research, 72: 1-8.
(My curriculum vitae)
Back to former researchers