I am interested in the phylogeny, systematics, taxonomy and diversity of marine invertebrates, especially marine molluscs and deeper water invertebrates. Documenting marine invertebrate diversity through taxonomic surveys of different geographic areas, Islands. For my PhD work more than 500 species of molluscs were documented and photographed from Lakshadweep Archipelago.
PhD (Aquatic Biology and Fisheries) University of Kerala, 2017
M.Phil (Aquatic Biology and Fisheries), University of Kerala, 2010
M.Sc (Aquaculture), Govt Arts College (Autonomous), Nandanam, (Madras University, Tamilnadu, India), 2008
Taxonomy of Marine Mollusca; Biogeography and Island ecology of Mollusca; Cryptic species diversity and endemism of Mollusca; Deeper water Macro Invertebrates; Intertidal macro invertebrates; Taxonomy of Marine Crustaceans
Photography, Travel, Teaching (Biodiversity and Taxonomy, Invertebrates and Aquaculture)
Awards and Fellowships
. Mohamed bin Zayed Species Conservation Fund for a grant (Project Number 172517389) Project entitled "Integrative taxonomic approach to conserving the cone snails of Gulf of Mannar, Tamil Nadu, India" for the period of 2018-20.
. Participant in "MarineGEO Hawaii Biodiversity Assessment" being held in Kaneohe Bay Hawaii at the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology from May 20th to June 2nd 2017.
. Unitasmalacologica student research award Project entitled "Biodiversity of Mollusan Fauna of the Union Territory of Lakshadweep" for the period of 01-06-2017 to 30-05-2018.
. Travel Grant "World Congress of Malacology 2016", the 19th International Congress of UNITAS MALACOLOGICA (UM) (WCM 2016) Penang Malaysia Jul 17-24.
. First prize and Best Paper award in "International Conference on Aquatic Exotics: Trends, Challenges and Policies" from 28-30 March 2016, at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India, in a paper entitled "Invasive Species along the Intertidal Habitats of Kerala Coast, India".
. First prize and Best poster award in "Second International Conference on Ecosystem Conservation and Sustainable Development (ECOCASD-2013)" from 29-31st August 2013, Thiruvananthapuram, Kearla, India, in a paper entitled "Morphology of Conch Shells (Mollusca: Strombidae) In Various Life Stages: Case Study From Lakshadweep Islands, India".
1. Dhaneesha, M., Hasin, O., Sivakumar, K.C., Ravinesh, R.,Carmeli, S., and Sajeevan, T.P. (2018) DNA Binding and Molecular Dynamic Studies of Polycyclic TetramateMacrolactams (PTM) With Potential Anticancer Activity Isolated From A Sponge Associated Streptomyces zhaozhouensis subsp. mycale subsp. nov.Marine Biotechnology.1-14.
2. Arathi A.R., Oliver P.G., Ravinesh. R.,Biju Kumar A. (2018) The Ashtamudi Lake short-neck clam: re-assigned to the genus Marcia H. Adams & A. Adams, 1857 (Bivalvia, Veneridae). ZooKeys, 799: 1-20.
3. Bharate, M., Oskars, T.R., Narayana, S., Ravinesh, R.,BijuKumar,A. and Malaquias, M.A.E (2018) Description of a new species of Haminoea(Gastropoda: Cephalaspidea) from India, with an account of the diversity of the genus in the Indo-West Pacific, Journal of Natural History, 52:37-38, 2437-2456
4. Komai, T., Ravinesh, R. and Biju Kumar, A. (2018) A new species of the hermit crab genus Diogenes Dana, 1851 (Decapoda: Anomura: Diogenidae) from southern India, Zootaxa, 4504 (2): 243-252.
5. Ravinesh, R.,Biju Kumar, A and A. J. Kohn (2018) Conidae (Mollusca, Gastropoda) of Lakshadweep, India, Zootaxa, 4441 (3): 467-494.
(Full list in curriculum vitae)
Back to current researchers